Wednesday 21 October 2015

Breast cancer awareness month: Just in case

Author: Chloe J


My boyfriend found my lump in my right breast during sex! I booked a Dr appointment the next day for a weeks time and then just waited to see if it disappeared in the meantime. A week later I was at the Dr's and the nurse examined me and said it was probably a cyst but she would refer me to the breast care team at the hospital just in case. A week later I was examined by Mr H at the hospital and he said the lump was smooth and moved around but just in case I should have an ultrasound. I came back from the ultrasound and Mr H said "oh it wasn't what we thought so let's do a biopsy". Then it was Christmas and Christmas Eve I told my parents at the dinner table! They were a bit speechless but said for me to let them know as soon as I had my next appointment.

Jan 6th and boom I was told I had breast cancer. I was fine but everyone around me seemed to be falling apart. I just went into practical mode and said "What happens next?" What happened next was lots more tests where they found cancer in my lymph nodes and then finally by middle of February I started FEC-T chemo. I reacted so bad to the chemo and because I'm also a type 1 diabetic I reacted badly to the steroids too. I was in HDU for 5 days and each time after that I was admitted to hospital for 3 days to be monitored. I couldn't have the T part of the chemo as I was allergic to it. I had to have an oxygen mask etc!

I lost my hair all over my body which was great for shaving haha. I didn't wear a wig and only wore a beanie wen it was really sunny.

Next I had my right breast and lymph nodes removed. I had a drain in for a week but I still walked down the street with my one boob, no hair and my drain in a wine bottle holder smiling at people as they looked at me ☺

I am now 3 days away from finishing my 15 rounds of radiotherapy. This has made me really tired and where I'm small it burnt my throat a bit but soon I will be starting volunteering until I get my date for the removal of the left breast and reconstruction of both ☺ I'm looking forward to getting new boobs and now my hair has grown back it is lovely and thick. Getting cancer has been such a good thing, bringing my family closer together, increasing my self confidence, stripping me back to me ☺

If I could say one thing to all women, especially young women it is to check your boobs regularly and act quickly, turns out my cancer was an aggressive form and my prognosis would have been quite different if I had left things longer than I did.





* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Write for the blog! This blog is one of a series being shared on the Young Women's Breast Cancer Blog UK during October, breast cancer awareness month, but the blog is here year round. If you are a young woman in the UK who has/had a breast cancer diagnosis and you would like to be a part of this blog, please have a read of the additional information here.
Check your breasts
Breast cancer can happen to any of us - regardless of age. Information about how to check your breasts can be found on the Coppafeel and Breast Cancer Now websites.
Further information and support:
Younger Breast Cancer Network UK - an online chat and support group for women under the age of 45 in the UK who have had a breast cancer diagnosis.
Baldly Beautiful - a YouTube channel with make up demonstrations, created by Mac makeup artist Andrea Pellegrini who went through chemo herself in 2014.
Take A Moment - This is a group for women (all ages) who have/had breast cancer who want to explore, reflect on and express their feelings and experiences through photography. This is a link to the public page - to join the group, send them a message.
The Osborne Trust - Providing children of parents with cancer the opportunity to access time out recreational activities whilst their parents undergo operations and treatments
Jen's Friends - Free heart-shaped pillows for women (and men) with Breast Cancer. Designed to provide comfort and protection after a Mastectomy operation.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



No comments:

Post a Comment